-
Back in China, Zhongdian
First stop, the Buddhist monastery to see the "Biggest sight in town."
After wandering around a bit and chatting with the monks who were building and painting a new building, I headed for the main hall. As I was entering, a Chinese tour group was entering as well. I stopped to see if I could understand any of what the guide was saying. She was speaking Putonghua, so I could get about every 8th word. Not enough to make any sense, but good practice all the same. As I was listening, a few of the tourists smiled and said Hello?to me. Then one began to translate for me. I did not ask her for any help, but in very good English, she volunteered to help me out. I said Hello in Chinese and complimented her on her English, and she replied with a startled, "You speak Chinese?!" No, I replied, Just a few words.
Read more here
- posted at 6:00 AM